Half Marathon starts 9:00 am
Bib # and shirt pick up is at Sand Hook on race day. Parking Lot E is the staging area for the race.
Please be sure to read the course map before race day. Half Marathon Course Map (PDF)
The Jersey Shore Half Marathon has a history that places it as one of the oldest distance events held in New Jersey and the surrounding area. The first Jersey Shore Marathon was held January 9, 1972. The Jersey Shore Marathon grew and became an outstanding road race in New Jersey with over 1,000 competitors. Many familiar names in marathoning and New Jersey road racing were all part of the Jersey Shore Marathon along with many runners who experienced their first marathon. The race, held in winter, was always tempting mother nature. The 1977 race was best remembered for being held during a driving snow storm that followed two days after the largest storm in several years which made for a snow covered route.
The growth of major fall marathons created a demand for quality half marathon distance races prior to the fall marathons and thus in1986 the Jersey Shore Marathon became the Jersey Shore Half Marathon, following the same Ocean Avenue course. Then in 2002 with the construction of the Lake Takanasee Bridge on Ocean Avenue the race move to Gateway National Park Sandy Hook returning to its original starting point. The course gives the runners the breath taking scenery of the New York Harbor and the Sandy Hook Lighthouse. The Jersey Shore Half Marathon continues a great racing tradition established thirty seven years ago.
• A fast and flat USATF certified course
• Split times every mile, clocks every two miles
• Aid stations every two miles
• All entrants will receive a distinctive long Tek shirt, post race food and party with radom prizes.
• All entrants will receive a finisher pendant.
• Bib # and shirt pick up is at Sand Hook on race day. Parking Lot E is the staging area for the race.
• Time limit on the course of 3 Hours
• This is a chip timed event
Refreshments will be available in Sandy Hook Park at our very own Sandy Dog Cafe for all participants after the finish. Always on hand are hot dogs, snacks, sodas and a healthy dose of humor.
The medical tent will be located at the finish line at the end of the chutes. In addition, radio operators and local first aid squad will monitor the course.
Strollers, Dogs, Costumes
We love kids bu we must prohibit strollers in the Half Marathon. We know that you are careful parents. Dogs at a race may be a hazard to runners, children and spectators. We also cannot have runners in costumes as this is a hazard to other runners and a safety issue that our insurance company will not cover these situations. We ask for your cooperation!! Thank You.
The awards ceremony for the Half Marathon will be held in Sandy Hook Park at 12:30 p.m.
• 1st, 2nd, and 3rd male & female runners
• 1st, 2nd and 3rd male and female runner in each age category: 20-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64.
• First overall male and female in the 16-19, 65-69, 70-79 age groups.
• Race walker Awards to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd male and female.
• Awards to the first male and female Wheel Chair competitors
• Awards will not be given out before the ceremony & you must be present to win any raffles so be sure to stick around!
Sandy Hook http://www.nps.gov/gate/planyourvisit/thingstodosandyhook.htm
From South, take the Garden State Parkway to exit 105 and follow Route 36 East to the Ocean. Make a left turn on Ocean Avenue to Gateway National Park, Sandy Hook. From North, take the Garden State Parkway to exit 117 to Route 36 follow signs to Sandy Hook.
Please proceed to parking lot E on Sandy Hook. We have parking for 1200 cars in lot E, and many more lots in close walking distance.
The race could not take place without the dedication of hundreds of volunteers. If you are interested, just email us.
Freehold Area Running Club http://www.farcnj.com/
Jersey Shore Running Club http://www.jsrc.org/
Ocean Running Club http://www.oceanrunningclub.org/